Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Essay Winner

Congratulations to Sheryl, the winner of "Why I Enjoy Exercise Training" short essay contest.  She wins a Hubbard Training Systems T-shirt and all the fame and fortune that comes along with winning this contest.  I think she gets a very important point across; she enjoys the process.  Consequently, the results follow consistent training. 

Here is her essay:

When I first went to sign up for training with a personal trainer, weight loss was not my goal. Laziness was my motivator. I could feel the effects of "getting older" every morning. I had never worked out, ran, or exercised in any form. I set a personal goal to be "in better shape" by my 50th birthday, having absolutely no tangible idea of what that might look like or necessarily mean. But it sounded good, sounded right. Right?


A year and a half later, it meant that I would be stronger than ever. It meant I would feel healthy. It meant getting up at 5:30 2-3 days a week would be enjoyable. It meant being able to dead lift my body weight (which coincidentally is down 10 lbs) and performing one pull up (without bands) would dictate my thoughts and become my goals. It meant I would be buying equipment and warming up at home to maximize my workout time with Dan.

At no time was this more apparent than when I had to take off a month or so due to a change in my work schedule. I was miserable. It became obvious that I now NEED to work out for my physical AND emotional well-being. I've been inspired to change my eating habits and have influenced my children to do the same. And I've enjoyed every minute of it. It's so cliche, but strength training has completely changed my life and 50 is looking pretty good!

No comments: