Sunday, May 30, 2010

Summer Fun: Passion Iced Tea and Outdoor Training

Summer is here. One of my favorite summer-time drink is iced tea. Starbucks offers a few different varieties, like iced green, white, and passion tea. They are good, but pretty pricey if you are gulping down a quart or two on a hot, summer day. I started making my own with Tazo passion tea (caffeine free). It is pretty easy and very cheap to make ($0.05 per 16 oz vs. $2.50 at Starbucks). Simply bring 1.5 quarts of water close to boil, turn off heat and add three tea bags to steep for three minutes. Put two trays of ice cubes in a large pitcher and pour tea over cubes in the pitcher. Refrigerate for a little before enjoying with some ice in a glass.























Summer means more outdoor training, too. While I love my barbell, squat racks, and cable column, I also love being outside in a natural setting with the sun and breezes. Also, the outdoor training (as my clients will attest) means lot of room move around. Today I performed a simple circuit with one kettlebell and the tire sled. Oh, and one kid for added resistance. These are some of the fun things my clients get to partake in during my weekly outdoor group training sessions.

Here I am sprinting with 70 pounds of resistance- great for building hip extension strength and power.



Happy Memorial Day! Thank you to all the men and women who have and who continue to serve our country, including my late grandfather and WWII Purple Heart recipiant Charles Zajac.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment about the men and women in our military. My son is in the Air Force and just arrived in Afghanistan.